Saturday, July 27, 2013

Recipe: Beancurd tarts

After my 'Hei Mama's egg tart', I somehow got inspired to bake beancurd tarts! Sounds exotic? I'm actually quite surprised that many people are unfamiliar with it. Try googling 'Le Cafe beancurd tart'. That's where I get my inspiration. :)  


For the pastry I use the same as of my egg tart. Whereas the beancurd filling I use my soymilk beancurd recipe.

PS: my shells are really ugly. T.T


Ingredients for tart shell (makes 10):
150g plain flour
1 tbsp custard powder
1 tbsp milk powder
½ tbsp sugar
½ egg
100g butter

Method:
1. Cut cold butter into small cubes.
2. Combine flour, custard powder and milk powder and mix well.
3. Rub in the cold butter.
4. Add sugar, mix well and add beaten egg, mix to form a soft dough.
5. Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
6. Divide the dough into 10 equal portions. 
Press the dough into tart mould evenly.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degree celsius for 20 mins.


Ingredients for filling:
250ml Soy Bean Milk 
1.5 tsp Gelatine powder

Method: 
1. Heat up soy bean milk in a sauce pan over low heat (do not let it boil).
2. Put gelatine powder in a small bowl, ladle about 50 ml of warm soy milk (or just enough to dissolve the powder) in it and stir till powder dissolve and well mixed.
3. Pour mixture back to sauce pan and stir well. Let it simmer for 30 second (do not let it boil).
4. Off the heat. Wait till mixture cool off slightly before sifting it.
5. Pour (4) into the baked tarts, abut 90% full. Allow the tarts to cool before chilling them overnight in the fridge. 


As compared to my egg tarts crust, I thickened the crust for this. So my beancurd tart shells are buttery and also more crunchy. 


Smooth and silky beancurd filling. :D 

To be honest, my version is very different from the Le Cafe's beancurd tarts. I feel that their filling is more 'custardy', softer and flakier. Whereas mine is more firm, it's really like eating 'lao ban' in tarts form. :)  

Anyways, if you were to try, do let me know if you like this recipe? 

Love,
Lirong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment