Monday, June 17, 2013

Recipe: Kimbap (Korean 'sushi') *step-by-step*


Because I love kimbap so much from my Seoul trip, I just have to replicate it. 

So here's my step-by-step guide to kimbap making (recipe adapted and modified from here), which I assure you is simpler that it sounds! 


Ingredients:
2 cups sushi rice
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup rice vinegar
4 eggs, beaten, fried and cut into long strips 
Sliced pickled radish (Bought from Korean mart)
8 imitation crabsticks, boiled and cut into half each
Sliced cucumbers
Dry roasted seaweed (Bought from Korean mart)


Method: 
1. Wash the rice several times until you get the clear water. Drain and add given amount of water and cook the rice in a rice cooker as per normal.
2. When the rice is ready, transfer into a large bowl, add the rice vinegar and toss thoroughly together with cutting motion. **Do not smash the rice. You may sprinkle sesame seeds if you like. 

Cover the rice with damp towel and set aside to cool. Meanwhile prepare the filling.


3. Spread a sheet of seaweed over the bamboo sushi roll with the shining side facing the bamboo sushi roll.


 4. Spread about 3 tbsp of seasoned rice evenly over about 1/2 of seaweed (leaving 1" in the front and 2" at the back of rice for rolling later). 


5. Place the fillings one at a time over the rice toward you .


6. Lift up the front side of seaweed, carefully and quickly roll over the filling to cover them.


 7. At the end, wrap the entire seaweed roll with bamboo roll and gently squeeze to secure. 


And we are done with one! :) It's not that hard isn't it? Initially, I thought I probably would break the seaweed when rolling, however the seaweed was 'stronger' than I would imagine. Zero damage to the seaweed! :D  


With the 2 cups of rice I managed to make 8 rolls of kimbap. 


All you have to do finally is to slice which of them and enjoy the fruit of your labour! 


Tadah! 
These kimbaps were well-received by the family and I'm definitely making them again! 


These were the dinner spread for one of our usual Sunday night. It took me almost the whole day to prepare (well, I slacked off here and there), but I can say it was all worth the time when I got the stamp of approval from the fam. <3 

Anyways, coming up will be another step-by-step guide to roasting pork belly using the oven. So stay tune! :)

PS: for the recipe of kimchi jjigae please click here while for the recipe of rabokki please click here 

Loves,
Lirong. 

1 comment: