Friday, May 24, 2013

Recipe: Taro Cheesecake


Mothers' Day cake.

My mum is a super lover of yam, I on the other hand loves pumpkin more. So after seeing maameemoomoo's taro cheesecake recipe, I knew I have to bake it for my mum. 



Crust
Oreo Cookies 140g, without the cream (I use Marie biscuits)
Butter, melted 70g
Finely ground the biscuit. Pour warm butter over biscuit. Toss well to coat mixture with butter. Press firmly into an even layer on the bottom of pan. Freeze for at least half an hour.

Filling
500g cream cheese
120g castor sugarng 
2 1/2 eggs
150ml whipping cream
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup mashed yam, peeled, steamed, pureed
few drops of purple colour (optional)
Beat cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until just incorporated. Gradually add cream, alternate it with mashed yam and lastly, add salt. Be careful not to over mix because we want to incorporate as little air as possible (to prevent cracking).
Bake* at 150C for 60-75 minutes or till the edge of filling is set and center is slightly wobbly. Cool on rack for 5 minutes.
Topping:
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tbsp coconut milk
Using hand, whisk together (very gently to prevent air bubbles) sour cream, sugar, and coconut milk in a bowl, then spread on top of cheesecake and bake 5 minutes at 150C.
Cool cheesecake completely in pan on rack, about 1-2 hours.
Cover and chill until cold, for at least 4 hours.
* feel free to bake the cake in water bath but if you are using spring form pan, be sure to wrap the bottom of the pan in 2 layers of foil to prevent any water from seeping into the cheesecake. alternately, you can just slide in a tray filled with water just beneath the rack.



I decorated the surface with ginkgo nuts and hearts decor bought from Phoon Huat. 


Close up. 


Interior. 


For the woman who bought me to this World,
who tormented all my nonsense,
who still loves me despite all. 
I love you mom. 

.xoxo.
Lirong.

No comments:

Post a Comment