Friday, May 17, 2013

Recipe: Nigella's chocolate chocolate chips muffin


Muffins as compared to cupcakes, are so underrated don't you think so? 

Call me weird or what, but I never really fancy cupcakes (Thank god! Otherwise I'll be spending like mad on 12 cupcakes:P) I much prefer muffins anytime!



I think there's always a constant debate on, what makes muffin and what makes cupcake? How do we differentiate between the two? Wells, some says cupcakes have beautiful toppings. That's not entirely true because there are in fact 'naked' cupcakes. In my opinion, it is a muffin if the baking only requires simple mixing and stirring. Unlike cupcakes which require more tedious work like a cake (beating etc.). 

So I'm pretty sure I'm baking muffins, because the recipe simply requires stirring and mixing. 
In short, easy job = muffin. 


Ingredients (makes 12 muffins) (source)
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp best quality cocoa powder
175g caster sugar
150g chocolate chips (save 1/4 of the chips for sprinkling)
250ml milk
90ml vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200 deg C.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 of the chocolate chips into a large bowl and mix well.
3. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug and mix well.
4. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together with slow and gentle strokes. Stop stirring once the last traces of flour disappear. Do not overmix. A lumpy batter will ensure the muffins stay moist and fluffy.
5. Spoon the batter into paper muffin cases.
6. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 chocolate chips on top and bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.


I adapted the recipe to make these rainbow muffins. 

Ingredients (makes 12 muffins) 

250g plain flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 tbsp milk powder
175g caster sugar250ml milk
90ml vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

some rainbow rice to sprinkle


Method is as above. :) 

***

Anyhow this will be my last post before I fly to Seoul tonight! So exciting I know! :D But don't worry the blog will still be updated. Not that I'm so hardworking to write during my vacation, but I've scheduled posts (to clear my recipe debts. :X) 

Oh yes, stay tune to my instagram, @lirong, as I will be posting live updates from Korea. :D

.xoxo.
Lirong.

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is valuable and everything.

    However think about if you added some great pictures
    or video clips to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is
    excellent but with pics and video clips, this website could certainly be one of the greatest in its niche.
    Great blog!

    Review my page; best game server hosting uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! chanced upon your blog, really like your bakes, looks easy to make and nice.
    So tempted to do but need to buy cake mixer and oven. Would you share which cake mixer and oven you are using? Saw the Tefal and Bosch cake mixer at store but can't decide yet. Hope to get 1 which is economical, lasting and good?

    Thks!

    Ester

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ester! Thank you so much! Yeah, I usually choose something easy to bake (easier to clean up later too! :P) My cake mixer and oven are very economical as well! I'm not a professional so I tend to go for cheaper alternatives. ;) I have a Cornell mixer bought from Courts (~$30) and my oven is actually a conventional one from Tefal. :) Hope these help! :)

      Delete